The Laboratory Rat, 2nd Edition
Rats have long been recognized as a valuable biomedical research model, notably in the investigation of aging, toxicology, addiction, and common human diseases such as diabetes and hypertension. In many instances, individuals conducting such research studies are charged with important responsibilities, including animal facility management, animal husbandry, veterinary care, regulatory compliance, and various experimental methodologies. With the advent of genetic manipulations and biomedical research technological advances such as bioimaging, the versatility and usefulness of the rat as an animal model has soared.
The Laboratory Rat, Second Edition captures the multiple advances in this important animal model’s husbandry, veterinary care, and experimental methodology. This edition features augmented, expanded, and novel information on biology, anesthesia, analgesia, and experimental techniques benefiting personnel working with rats—from the animal care staff to the researcher and everyone in between. The book is also extremely useful to institutional animal care and use program supporters and elements, including animal care and use committees, institutional officials, occupational health and safety professionals, veterinary technicians, and veterinarians.
- Presents essential information for the care of laboratory rats and how to effectively use them in a wide variety of research applications
- Illustrates management practices and technical procedures in a clear, easy-to-follow format that can easily be incorporated into a facility’s standard performance procedures
- Includes more than 70 full-color illustrations
- Provides additional sources of information on rat biology, husbandry and veterinary care, and facility management
- Contains tables on analgesic and anesthetic agents, methods of euthanasia, injection sites, and more