Large Animal Clinical Procedures for Veterinary Technicians, 5th Edition
By Kristin J. Holtgrew-Bohling
Get the big picture on the vet tech’s role and responsibilities in large animal care! A practical, comprehensive guide, Large Animal Clinical Procedures for Veterinary Technicians, 5th Edition describes how to set up, assist, and follow through on medical procedures and treatment regimens for domestic livestock. The book begins with an overview of livestock handling, reproduction, and nutrition, along with the skills required in hospital management. Following are separate sections on horses, cattle, sheep and goats, llamas and alpacas, swine, and poultry, with each section including chapters examining husbandry, clinical and surgical procedures, and common diseases. Written by expert clinician and vet tech educator Kristin Holtgrew-Bohling, this text provides an ideal study tool in preparing for the VTNE® and for everyday practice.
- Comprehensive large animal coverage is specifically tailored to the needs of veterinary technician students.
- Coverage of the essential large animal-related tasks in the CVTEA Manual of Accreditation for Veterinary Technology Programs prepares you to pass the Veterinary Technology National Exam (VTNE®).
- Step-by-step procedures explain how and why a clinical procedure is performed, and the roles that you fill in preparing for, assisting in, and following up the procedure.
- “How-to” chapters within each species section examine husbandry, clinical procedures, surgical procedures, and common diseases — so veterinary technicians, acting under instructions of veterinarians, can plan and follow through on procedures and treatment regimens for large animals.
- Evolve website includes quizzes, images, and reference materials to reinforce understanding.
- Full-color photographs and line drawings show step-by-step procedures in areas such as restraint, bandaging, physical examination techniques, and diagnostic procedures.
- Coverage of husbandry and breeds demonstrates how day-to-day housing and feeding affect the care of many large animal diseases, and also helps you provide quality client education.
- Livestock Industry section provides an overview of safety and handling, reproduction, and nutrition, so you can better understand the practices, procedures, and decisions in large animal veterinary medicine.
- Learning features enhance critical thinking and decision making with case studies, clinical applications, key terms, chapter outlines, learning objectives, and Technician Notes.