The Laboratory Bird
By Douglas K Taylor, Vanessa K Lee and Karen R Strait
The Laboratory Bird PDF. Laboratory animals, including birds, play an important role in biomedical research. The humane care and management of these animals is an ongoing concern. A new addition to the acclaimed Laboratory Animal Pocket Reference series, The Laboratory Bird is the first publication dedicated to the care and use of avian species in the research setting.
Covering avian species such as chickens, ducks, doves, parrots, and songbirds that are commonly used as research models, the book is divided into focused chapters that cover a broad range of topics, including:
- General avian biology and physiology
- Regulations and regulatory compliance regarding the use of birds in research
- Experimental methods
- Veterinary care
Along with discussing applicable regulations, the book also details issues of health management and quarantine approaches. The final chapter provides resources such as organizations, publications, vendors, and diagnostic laboratories.
With its focus on the care of a diverse group of avian species in biomedical research settings, The Laboratory Bird is a valuable reference for animal care and veterinary technicians, laboratory animal veterinarians, trainees in laboratory animal medicine, and research staff members, as well as individuals involved in laboratory work who lack experience in working with birds.
- Presents a quick reference for investigators, technicians, and caretakers on the humane care and use of birds in the laboratory setting
- Illustrates management practices and technical procedures with numerous figures and tables in a clear, easy-to-follow format that can easily be incorporated into a facility’s standard operating procedures
- Provides resources such as organizations, publications, vendors, and diagnostic laboratories
- Includes full-color illustrations to enhance the user’s detailed understanding